Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Vacation and Guinea

I recently visited home for two weeks and realized I have apparently changed. It was really good to go home and see my family and hang out with my brothers and see some friends as well. It was good times, each day.

Now I'm back in Guinea and I can see the changes that I've made and how I've adapted to be able to live this new life in Guinea and actually now I can remember that difference and those things I orginally saw and thought wow, this needs to change. Immediately arriving to the airport I sensed things were gonna be different. I havent made it bakc to the village yet but I can feel it, like things are going to be different.

I was happy to be back in Guinea, i really do miss my host family and the friends I have made here but i also miss that laid back like nobody's perfect type of feeling. At home I felt it a little that i needed to wear that bit of perfume or dress nice but here I feel comfortable knowing that people are impressed by just you showing up. LOL.

Anyway I have no future vacation plans I've been away for so long. I'm looking forward to going back. we are doing a girl's Conference the last week of July which should be awesome. Afterwards I'm planning this AIDS presentation at the night club with some local partners, and also a possible training for midwives. (well that'd be basically to get more woman involved in the village and develop more skills.) Ramadan should be fun, well not fun but I plan on fasting the entire time and taking full participation in this month of fasting and praying and learning more than anyone could ever want to know about a religion without converting. And well after that I guess I might take one last vacation for my birthday, I haven't decided where yet but Sierra Leone looks like the least expensive and most fun than staying in Guinea or i might just explore Guinea which should also be pretty cool. And by then I'll have my end of service conference and spend the last few months helping out here and there at the school. I'm still working on it but have yet proposed it but I'm trying to do like an entire week of health programs at each of the elementary schools in the local language which sounds easy but i think it's gonna take a while to get it all figured out and find a good counterpart and get all the materials and crap and then go to each school, there's about 12, so this would be 12 weeks! (Not sure if anyone could do actually work for 12 weeks straight here in the village. lol.)

Anyway excited to come home next year and already looking into graduate programs. I'm looking to leave New York (ASAP) so i'm looking into programs outside of New York and have no desire to be in the city. Any one who likes to offer their opinion is free to email me or call me or let me know, rather not when i get home but in the next few months would make more sense.

I lost my cable for my photos so sorry no photos for a while till i figure that one out.

No comments: