Saturday, September 5, 2009

Fasting in the village

I wrote something very profound on a piece of paper and totally lost it. So Ill try to recapture it with the time I have in the cafe. Well its that time of the Muslim calendar where fasting is called for and its been 15 days today. Before the month started I had told my family I wanted to fast the entire month and learn what I could about their religion since most of what I think I know is hearsay anyway. They were at first a little skeptical (mainly my host mom) and then told me if I were to do this I would have to pray as well.
I wasnt too thrilled about the thought of prayer because one its all in Arabic and I dont speak Arabic and two because its 5 prayers each day in a language I dont understand. Rather than dismissing the idea entirely, which was plan A, I decided to try it out and see if it was something I could do.
Step one: I purchased the Holy Quaran with English translation, very helpful and also when my host family saw it they were amazed because now I could understand what they were talking about and then some. This has helped so much because in reading it, I can further understand the religion.
Step two: Learn how to pray. This may sound ridiculous to learn how to pray but seriously its a big thing. Its one thing to do it and copy what someone does in front of me or next to me but its another level to be able to do it properly on my own.
Step three: Fast
So basically its been 15 days and its been so far going really well. Day one through Day 3 was the hardest but now that Im used to it and half way there its a lot easier. So what have I learned? A LOT! Well first and foremost why Fasting is an important practice in Muslim religion and also that this idea of abstaining for food and water throughout the day can be applied to avoid a slew of evils in the world. Im sure there is more but those are at the top of my list.
How are things in the village? Things are really slow yet again. No one wants to work, no one wants to move or do anything. I had started to organize a Peer Education Training and we had two more sessions to do before the month began and its been two weeks and no one wants to study. Sad Face. So it might have to wait until the end of September. Ive been cooking often a lot, im sorry but man I can make some amazing Rice and Sauce, no joke.

1 comment:

Kel said...

This is a weird position for me, because I want to share my opinion, but I don't want you to put me in that category of people you dismiss on sight.

So, let me just say to you, 'be careful' and I hope you're using this experience as purely educational. I pray for you (to the one true God) and he will guide and direct your steps.

On another note, I do appreciate open minded people because they are the ones that are capable of achieving the strongest faith.

Hopefully we can spend some time and talk about your experiences and what all you've learned from your time in New Guinea. Have fun, be safe and pray always!