Thursday, May 22, 2008

Life after IST

I'm headed back to my site today and there are so many mixed feelings right now about what the next few months hold before I return to Conakry in July for the fourth. It's been six months since leaving home and it's going to be much longer than anticipated till I see the US and every day I feel like I miss home more and more and not only that but every day the craziest things just don't even phase me. Like walking into a room and the lights going out. It's normal to lose power. Yeah, and its normal to have a couple mice that it's nothing even wrong with it anymore. It's just expected now. I can't imagine what my first reactions will be when I go back home and can crap indoors with the maginifecent inddor plumbing.

Well I need to say this that I'm a little upset that my closest neighbor had decided to go home. As much as I working to do things more independently. It sucks to not have another volunteer as close as 15 km. I hope with the new group in July and later this year I'll get some neighbors but right now I'm alone in my Prefecture as it stands.

Things I really miss about home is the food and convience of everything. When I went to Conakry it passed so well. I ate Chinese food and ice cream and watched movies and actually watched tv shows. First time in six months I watched cartoon network. (nothing good was on) but it was amazing. You should have seen this house, it wasn't much but when you compare to a hut it is absolutely everything and then some. And amazingly enough there was liquor as well which is a shocker sometimes to see in a predominately Muslim country. So I was very sad to leave Conakry for those reasons but also happy because i dont like the big city.

No comments: