Saturday, May 3, 2008

Old Blog from Site

Blog April 16, 2008

There are definitely those days where everything just gets on my nerves and others where I can just laugh it off. I really enjoy my village and the people here but it’s tiring and overwhelming sometimes. So I have started teaching several people English and it is going well, for the most part. We are still doing basic concepts but it seems to be going ok because I’ve been doing one-on-one and I think it’s a bit easier so I can answer specific questions and such.

I do feel safe in my village. I feel comfortable to go to my neighbor’s if I ever needed help or anything at all. But the reality is that I am a young American woman living in Africa. And I find it difficult to trust people or even be around people for fear of being taken advantage of, being robbed or getting hurt. The other week I felt very harassed and just a little annoyed and scared because they would not stop calling and would come by house often. I told one of my friends that I work with and I think he talked to him for me.

So the other day I was chillin at my house just writing in my diary with my front door closed. A group of little kids came up to my window and stuck their head in and asked me to open my door. This went on for about an hour. I left the room and then they continually knocked at the door and asked for things and such. It was very annoying and it left me to hide in my room until they went away. Its ok that they come by but sometimes I want to be left alone to do work and I need that window open to see cause I have no electricity and its such a waste to burn my candles during the day because I can’t get a little privacy.

Other than that I have made some progress with my French and I’ve started eating with more families. I like making my own food but sometimes rice is Ok and when I make it, its always so plain. And my Guinean mom is awesome and cooks awesome rice. Every time I go to her house I eat so much.

No comments: